As first test, I started off with Limoges without pigments and tried out different grids inspired by Carsten Nicolais extensive catalogue of Moirè grids and their variants. I decided for Limoges instead of Montblanch or hard porcelain for its easier way of using it. The effect could be seen the best with more slanted slats with smaller gaps in between. It was a question of balancing the visibility of the effect and the stability of the form. I built a cutting aid of foam in order to keep the porcelain from breaking. I experimented with different cutting knives and found a stright bladed scalpel to be the most useful one.
Relatively early in the process, I decided to use black pigments in the porcelain liquid in order to increase the visual effect and move away from the pure whiteness and therefore attached associations to traditional porcelain.